SurvitecZodiac / DBC Marine Evacuation Chute (MEC)
Most efficient, easy-to-use, flexible and cost-effective Marine Evacuation System available to evacuate passengers and crew with the utmost safety in the shortest possible time (gravity-launch system).
How It Works
- Fabric descent chute with inflatable platform stored in a compact housing either on the evacuation deck (inside or outside the vessel) or unobtrusively on the deck above (see the figures and pictures below)
- Under emergency situation, a crew-member releases the Marine evacuation chute (MEC) by pulling handle. The chute and platform fall to the water and the platform automatically inflates
- Meanwhile, the liferafts are launched from their racking system, inflated and attached to the platform
- Passengers enter the chute by way of the housing and safely descend to the platform
- They are then dry-transferred to the liferafts with the rescue boats standing by to assist
Fig 1. I and O type MEC housings, shown deployed.
I-Type Housing (Evacuation Deck Storage)
O-Type Housing (Overhead Storage)
– Extremely easy to use
- Maximum efficiency with minimum effort
- Extensive crew training
– Safety built in
- Fully adjustable components for all conditions
- Zig-zag design of the chute for the safe descent of passengers
- Protective cover and fender system to guard passengers against environmental hazards
- Minimum space on deck: compact chute housing + liferafts tidily stored on rack
– Flexibility is key
- Lightweight, compact and easily mounted system to fit on all vessel designs
- Easy transfer from vessel to vessel
– The best solution for the least money
- Initial investment + installation, maintenance and service cost < other systems
– First time, every time
- Simple & sophisticated design + high quality of each component for system reliability
- 24 hours turnaround for any service
– One supplier you can trust
- Complete end to end system manufactured to SOLAS requirements
- Highest quality design & compatibility of all components
– Worldwide Servicing
- Full maintenance contracts on demand for ship owners
- Servicing schedule arranged by Service Administrator for any situation
Simply pull the lever to quickly and easily deploy the chute and platform.
View a drawing of the MEC system here
Chute into water > Platform inflates > Housing doors open.
System ready to transfer passengers in 5 minutes
Liferafts secured to the platform at the base of the chute.
Passengers descend through the chute for dry transfer to the liferafts (rescue boat assistance).